Friday, September 10, 2010

Oh Loud Fowl

I’m soon approaching ONE YEAR in Korea, and talk about a full circle! It’s amazing how nostalgic I’ve become of my time spent here. I remember, when I came, everything was new and uncertain. I suppose things are still uncertain, but the novelty ran out. fast. It’s funny, certain smells trigger memories of my first month here and the hope and drive I felt, like the fish market. Who would have thought I would associate autonomy with the invasive smells of fish and all things fishy, but there you go. And there’s a restaurant by my apartment building that cooks what I can only guess is dog, or some other animal better left uncooked, and every so often, I get a big waft of the nose-wrinkling smell, and smile to no one.

The weather is a nice Indian Summer, perfect for night time strolls, Ambien induced or not. My students are forgetting the promises summer offers, and are looking forward to their Korean Thanksgiving, called Chuseok, and the subsequent days off school. And soon Andong will host the ‘Mask Dance Festival,’ which is visited by Koreans and foreigners alike, (last year this festival was cancelled because of the Swine Flu) and I just can't wait!

In the spirit of remembering my first moments in this obscure farming village, I feel compelled to mention my dear rooster friend from a few rooftops over. He would crow good morning to me, and the rest of the neighborhood, from 6am on. I would hear the chickens crooning to him, trying to out bakauk each other in a desperate attempt to catch his fancy. And occasionally, he would chime in right on rhythm to Fiest’s music, which would always make me forgive him.

Well, you may have noticed I’ve implemented the past tense when referring to my rooster friend, because, well, I no longer hear him. For a while I had dreamt about plucking out his feathers and making a stop at the fried chicken place down the street, but somehow he wormed his way into my affection. I’d watch his owner feed him and the other animals on his rooftop, and somehow forgave his steadfast attempts to disrupt my sleep. And so, it is with him in mind that I reveal my ode:

Oh Loud Fowl

It’s 6am, and I must sleep

So I beg of you, don’t make a peep!

If your girlfriends would distract you some,

I’d search this country for one blasted gun!

Who else do you bother? Who else do you wake?

Stop it! You’re making my head ache!

But there are times, when you cluck and crow

And your pitch and rhythm are in perfect tempo

So maybe, if you’re really good

I just might not eat you for food

So let this be a warning to you

Seriously little dude, shut the hell up!

No comments:

Post a Comment